The Florida Academy of Sciences, Inc. was founded in 1936 as a non-profit organization. The Academy is the Florida Affiliate of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and is the only organization in Florida that represents all disciplines of sciences.
The Florida Academy of Sciences, Inc. sponsors the Florida Junior Academy of Science to encourage young scientists, publishes the Florida Scientist, a quarterly journal distributed to its members and libraries world wide, and sponsors an Annual Meeting to give members opportunity to present papers, honor their peers, and participate in multidisciplinary scientific exchanges.
The Objectives of the Academy are:
- to promote scientific research.
- to stimulate interest in the sciences
- to encourage the diffusion of scientific knowledge.
- to foster public and governmental understanding and appreciation of the sciences and the industries that apply them.
- to promote ethical application of the sciences to the service of humanity.
- to bring suitable recognition for scientific achievement.